January 20, 2010

Write Goals In Pencil


Recently I had a conversation with a friend whose 2010 resolutions/goals have already gone by the wayside.  And, I just felt her frustration and her almost maddening bewilderment with every fiber of my being.  She made sure that these goals were not just a bunch of must-do's and should do's, but rather things that she really really wants. Still, somehow they didn't stick. Anyone relate? Yeah, probably everyone.

A lady I met on twitter last year was talking to me one day about goals, and she said that goals always require adjustment, tweaking....and for a simple reason.  When we set out to accomplish something, there is just no way for us to anticipate all the variables and how life will go. . . and how the people/circumstances that we don't have any control over will affect us and our goals.

So, I was thinking about all this. And, I hate it when goals that I worked really hard to come up with, write down and start implementing have to be adjusted because sometimes I just want to be like a linebacker and put my head down and plow through. And, sometimes if I do tweak the goals I get tired of it all, it just feels so cumbersome and I begin to feel like it isn't even worth this much trouble.  So, when my friend shared her frustration, I could really really feel it because I'd been there sooooo many times.

Also, I used to think that "tweaking" goals was a cop out, like an excuse for not doing what I said I was going to do, an escape clause. And, so I'd feel like a quitter if I tweeked.  But, then when the goal didn't work out, what would I do?  Quit.  And, then think there was something really wrong with me, when the main thing that was off was the goal AND the fact that I gave up too quickly and didn't tweak it.

I decided in 2010 to not feel threatened anymore by the need to tweak and just tell myself the truth about whatever it is I'm working toward, which in 2010 is to lose 120 pounds.

The truth is:
I cannot tell the future, so my plans will need adjusting.

The truth is:
There are lots of ways to reach the same goal, & finding the one that'll work for me is my first action step.

The truth is:
I need other people to know about what I'm fighting for; they'll see things I don't and cheer me on.

The truth is:
No matter how hard this is, I am worth it. Every. Last. Ounce. Of. Effort. Worth. It.

The truth is:
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

So, if you are feeling at all like my friend (and like me for so many years in a row), I just want to encourage you about the goals you've made at the beginning of this year...don't abandon them now. Pull them out, dust them off and rework them. 

Even if you are still reworking the goals at the end of 2010, you will not have wasted ANY time.  But, if you let them go too easily now, well, December 2010 will still come.

8 comments:

  1. I love your goals! And they're written in pen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. One of my goals was to run 3 times a week to cut my 5k time. Haven't done it every week, but I'm not giving up that goal, still working towards it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lots of great truths in there...thanks for sharing Cheryl! I especially like that last truth! Good reminder, even for those of us who are still going pretty strong at pursuing our goals for 2010! This may be a 're-read many times this year' kinda post for me...thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bee Thanks. :)

    @Linda Yes, they are, aren't they?! So maybe instead of erasing to tweak, we keep the ones written in pen so we can see the learning process.

    @Kat When I grow up, I wanna be like you, a runner! I used to run in my 20's, and would love to get back there, felt soooo good!

    @Minnesota Mami Yah, I agree. Affirming the truth in our heads just gets them screwed on straight I think, whether we're faltering or going strong! Thx, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! It's so true...how many years have I vowed to lose weight and the next year showed up with no results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat S- I agree with you Cheryl. It is very hard to keep those goals in focus. I may be a little over board on this but I just put up a 3ftx4ft cork board in my office, I can see it every day and plan on putting my goals up where I can see them every day just to keep them in front of me. Keep up the great posts and the honesty. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Connie I think in the past I have expected perfection from myself, and then when I have one little slipup, I think what's the use. It's the issue of perfection that was tripping me up!

    @Pat I think that's great! Creating a visual reminder somewhere makes all the sense in the world to me...still working on getting mine together.

    ReplyDelete