My ears perked up because a good friend told me just the other day that she has been diagnosed with a wheat/gluten allergy. If you've ever tried to go gluten free, you know (while much more doable these days) is not an easy task. Plus, these cakes are a GREAT option for my new "grains-as-a-condiment" practice. Double win.
Whether you need to eat gluten free or not, this looks like a fabulous recipe...make up a bunch of these cakes on the weekend, pop a couple in the toaster during the week and you have one quickie healthy breakfast to kick start your morning!
2 c buckwheat (this is a plant, NOT a grain)
2 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 1/2 c low fat milk
1 egg PLUS 1 egg white
1 T flaxseed
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Whisk milk with eggs and stir into dry mixture until just combined.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter onto a preheated griddle and cook about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Spread almond butter onto a pancake.
- Top with sliced banana and another pancake. (I would add a bit of cinnamon too!)
- And, eat a healthy breakfast, even on the go.
Recipe adapted from The Early Show.