Gearing up for me isn't really about getting the groceries I need or buying new shoes (altho I'd love some new pink shoes). No, first things first. Before anything else, I need to take all the dreams, visions and inspirations that are residing right now in my head, my heart and pumping through my veins and get them down on paper. I gotta write this stuff down.
I once heard that the only difference between a goal and a dream is that goals are put into writing. There may be a couple of other differences I think, but hey, I think the point is still quite valid. I mean, just think about the last time you went to the grocery store and didn't take a list! I forget stuff all the time that way, so I don't think these wild and crazy and wonderful aspirations in my heart today are any different. I may think I will NEVER forget what I want, but I will. Been there, done that.
So, here goes. Here's my weight loss and fitness goals for 2010 that will enable me to lose 120 pounds in 52 weeks:
- Go to the gym 5x a week, exercising a minimum of 30 minutes each time.
- Mix up the routine, 3 days cardio, 2 days strength training.
- Eat more vegetables than meat or carbs, and make 3 days a week total vegetarian.
- Exercise without pain - end of Feb 2010
- Walk/jog daily - April 2010
- Lose 60 pounds - end June 2010
- 10 pounds/month
- Increase activity level
- Aerobic exercise 3x week (walking or other)
- Strength training 2x week
- Moderate food intake--balanced meals using whole foods with a focus on lean protein, fresh fruit and veggies.
- Avoid deprivation by enjoying good, quality food in tasting proportions vs. super sizing everything.
- Adopt new habits that are sustainable for the rest of my life (i.e. routines, meal prep)
- Immerse myself in challenging work, stimulating social interactions and reading material - AVOID BOREDOM!!!
- Go off blood pressure meds - end of Sept 2010
- Able to play one-on-one basketball w/sons & husband with ease - Nov 2010
- Lose 120 pounds - end of December 2010
- Participate in a bike trip in New England - Summer 2011
- Vacation in the Caribbean, comfortable in a bathing suit, able to participate in any activity I choose (snorkeling, swimming, jogging on the beach, etc.) - December 2011.
What do you guys think? Are these goals SMART?